Guided by the necessity of using high-quality current data for its research projects, the Laboratory of Physical Oceanography developed a software called CASCADE to process and analyse the data provided by the Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers mounted on the hull of the research ships (VMADCP or SADCP). This software has been used for several years in an operationnal context by the SISMER data center.
Following the recent advances in ADCP technology, CASCADE is composed of 2 parts:
- CASCADE_TRAITEMENT: it is used for old VMADCP (narrow and broad bands) and converts raw binary datafiles from the acquisition RDI software Transec (*r.* et *n.*) into a single NetCDF survey file after incorporating the best navigation data and averaging over a few tens of pings (20 to 50 typically). The resulting data can then be processed further using CASCADE_EXPLOITATION (see below).
Since very few ADCPs of this type are still operating, and since this part of the software has only be tested on matlab R14-sp3 (7.1.0), CASCADE_TRAITEMENT is not distributed.
- CASCADE_EXPLOITATION: this part is available below. It can be used easily on *STA or *LTA files generated by the acquisition RDI software VMDAS (in terrestrial coordinates). CASCADE_EXPLOITATION converts the *TA files in a single NetCDF survey file and cleans the data according to adjustable parameters. It is possible to diagnose and correct for a misalignment or a bad amplitude of the ADCP. It also adds useful auxillary variables: the barotropic tide and the bathymetry. Data can then be filtered or averaged along specific sections or stations. Graphic outputs of many kinds are displayed and saved to check the processing and illustrate a report.
This version of CASCADE_EXPLOITATION requires at least Matlab 2008b (7.7.0) since it uses the NetCDF toolbox provided by Matlab. The necessary files are:
Software (652 Ko)
Bathymetry files (329 Mo)
Documentation (still in French, sorry! 2.7 Mo)
Tide binary files are not provided with the software. They can be downloaded on http://volkov.oce.orst.edu/tides/global.html and using them must be acknowledged by the proper reference. The downloaded binary files (*tpxo7.2) must be copied in the folder "./exploitation/tide/model". Please edit the texte file "Model_tpxo7.2" to verify the path to the 3 data files (remove "DATA/" is necessary).
To launch the English version of CASCADE, use the following command in matlab : ce('en')
What is included in the files above but not proper to CASCADE:
m_map 1.4f was downloaded from http://www.eos.ubc.ca/~rich/map.html. Note that m_map v1.4e displays unexplained anomalous arrows so we prefer to stick with 1.4f until the problem is solved.
High resolution coastlines are also included (in m_map1.4/private), and were downloaded from http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/gshhs.html
Bathymetric files must be copied in "./exploitation/bathymetrie", unless otherwise precised in the "Configuration" tab of CASCADE_EXPLOITATION (see the docummentation)
This software was tested on Linux and Windows XP. It is made available to the research community for free, but we cannot guarantee that it is free of bugs. For further information, contact: Catherine.Kermabon@ifremer.fr and Philippe.Le.Bot@ifremer.fr
- Le Bot, P., C. Kermabon, P. Lherminier, F. Gaillard (2011): CASCADE V6.1: Logiciel de validation et de visualisation des mesures ADCP de coque. Rapport technique OPS/LPO 11-01. Ifremer, Centre de Brest, France.
- Lherminier, Pascale, Herle Mercier, Thierry Huck, Claire Gourcuff, Fiz F. Perez, Pascal Morin, Artem Sarafanov, Anastasia Falina (2010): The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation and the subpolar gyre observed at the A25-OVIDE section in June 2002 and 2004. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Volume 57, Issue 11, November 2010, Pages 1374-1391, DOI: 10.1016/j.dsr.2010.07.009.
- Gaillard, F., H. Mercier and C. Kermabon, 2005: A synthesis of POMME physical data set: one year monitoring of the upper layer. J. Geophys. Res., 110, C07S07, doi:10.1029/2004JC002764